Click here to download this resource to Word.
Resource 3. Self-Care Matters: Ideas and Resources
Self Care Links/ Resources
Self Care Strategies by Domain
- Mindful breathing
- reduces stress
- improves immune function
- increases focus and attention
- Taking walks
- Eating a healthy lunch
- Focus on positivity
- Intentionally take in the good
- Recognize inner strengths
- Strengthen resiliency
- Remain a life-long learner
- Healthy routines
- consistent bedtime
- reduction of screen time
- Control the stress response
- Recognize the difference in good stress vs. chronic stress
- Identify major stressors
- Practice patience
- Incorporate activities that help process emotions
- Mentor teachers
- 81% of those who participated in a mentoring program said the program was helpful or very helpful to their professional work
- Put time and effort into relationships
- Positive relational “bank accounts”
- Spiritual self-care fosters a sense of connection to a higher power and helps one find meaning and importance in life
- There are many different spiritual paths; this is a very personal self-practice
- Prayer and/or meditation
- Spend time in nature
- Connecting to a community
Work place self care
- Set short and long-term goals
- Focus on positivity
- Take breaks and find quiet time and reflect
- Set boundaries
- Turn off notifications outside of work hours
- Avoid email during the weekends
- Play relaxing music even during class
- Keep your space organized and tidy
- Communicate with your coworkers, supervisors, and employees about job stress.
- Talk openly about how the pandemic is affecting your work.
- Identify factors that cause stress and work together to identify solutions.
- Ask about how to access mental health resources in your workplace.
- Remind yourself that everyone is in an unusual situation with limited resources.
- Identify and accept those things which you do not have control over.
Self Care Strategies by Time Required
- Make a cup of tea/ coffee/ warm cider
- Light a candle
- Listen to an upbeat song
- Drink a glass of water
- Give yourself a foot massage
- Step outside into the fresh air
- Text someone you love a compliment
- 5 minutes of deep/ focused breathing
- Write down what you are grateful for
- Buy or pick flowers
- Take a shower
- Use a face mask
- Go for a walk
- Make a smoothie
- Take a short nap
- Call someone you love
- Do a short meditation
- Watch a funny video clip
- Write down positive affirmations
An hour or more
- Watch a funny show
- Spend time with friends who lift you up
- Create a vision board
- Do a workout
- Read a book
- Listen to a podcast
- GO on a hike
- Unplug from technology
- Cook a meal
- Paint a picture
- Go to a movie
Real Self Care
Fake Self Care
- Fueling your body with food that gives you energy and helps you improve mentally and physically.
- Drinking water.
- Being kind to yourself.
- Setting boundaries.
- Spending time with people that enrich your life.
- Moving your body because you can.
- Negative self-talk to try to “motivate” yourself.
- Saying yes to everyone because you are a “nice person.”
- Socializing because of fear of missing out.
- Buying anything that promises to make you love yourself more.