The focus of this week’s instruction is to strengthen writing skills by:
- Writing inferences about American Sports
- Writing the gist of an informational text
- Writing opinions and evidence from text
- Writing a summary of a narrative poem
- Writing a descriptive paragraph
- LESSON 1: In this lesson, students will draw inferences from visual images and quotes focused on American Sports. Students will work individually and collaboratively to draw inferences about the history of American sports.
- LESSON 2: Students will determine and write the gist of an informational text.
- LESSON 3: Students will read the text “It’s Not Just a Game” closely to determine the author’s opinion and evidence from chunks of the text. Students will work collaboratively and independently throughout the lesson.
- LESSON 4: Students will read “Casey at the Bat“ to learn how to read and make meaning of a narrative poem with a focus on analyzing how unfamiliar words can be understood by using context clues.
- LESSON 5: Students will read “Casey at the Bat” to learn how to use visualization as a way to understand figurative language; targeting descriptive words and phrases that evoke emotion.
Student Print Materials
Student activities and print materials (if applicable) are included in the daily lesson plans.