Rising Grade 5
Week 3: Weekly Overview
The focus of this week’s instruction is to strengthen writing skills by:
- Writing a summary of the poem The Echoing Green using the characters and events in the poem.
- Writing a summary of how the structural elements are used in The Echoing Green.
- Write an explanatory paragraph about how William Blake uses description with the birds and children.
- Writing an explanatory paragraph about the theme of William Blake’s poem.
- Using information learned from previous lessons and William Blake’s poem as a model to create a poem with a theme.
- LESSON 1: Students will identify the characters and setting of the poem, “The Echoing Green” by William Blake. Then, they will summarize the poem in the form of an explanatory paragraph.
- LESSON 2: Students will identify and analyze how structural elements are used in “The Echoing Green” by William Blake. Then, they will write an explanatory paragraph about the structural elements.
- LESSON 3: Determine how imagery of birds and children are used in “The Echoing Green” by William Blake.
- LESSON 4: Determine the theme of the poem, “The Echoing Green” by using the repeated details.
- LESSON 5: Students will use information learned about characters, setting, stanza, repetition, rhythm, similes, imagery, and theme to write a three stanza poem.
Student Print Materials
Student activities and print materials (if applicable) are included in the daily lesson plans.