The focus of this week’s instruction is to deepen students’ understanding of:
- place value
- Student Print Packets for each day
- End of Week Assessment
3.OA.A.1 Interpret the factors and products in whole number multiplication equations (e.g., 4 x 7 is 4 groups of 7 objects with a total of 28 objects or 4 strings measuring 7 inches each with a total of 28 inches.)
3.OA.A.2 Interpret the dividend, divisor, and quotient in whole number division equations (e.g., 28 ÷ 7 can be interpreted as 28 objects divided into 7 equal groups with 4 objects in each group or 28 objects divided so there are 7 objects in each of the 4 equal groups).
3.OA.A.3 Multiply and divide within 100 to solve contextual problems, with unknowns in all positions, in situations involving equal groups, arrays, and measurement quantities using strategies based on place value, the properties of operations, and the relationship between multiplication and division (e.g., contexts including computations such as 3 x ? = 24, 6 x 16 = ?, ? ÷ 8 = 3, or 96 ÷ 6 = ?)
- Array: An array is an arrangement of objects in rows and columns.
- Tape Diagrams: Tape diagrams are also called “bar models” and consist of a simple bar drawing that students make and adjust to fit a word or computation problem.
- Place Value Chart: A place value chart is a diagram that helps us to find and compare the place value of the digits in numbers.
- Standards Algorithm: A standard algorithm or method is a specific method of computation which is conventionally taught for solving mathematical problems.
Additional Terms and Symbols
- Bundling, making, renaming, changing, exchanging, regrouping, trading (e.g., exchanging 10 ones for 1 ten)
- Divide/division (partitioning a total into equal groups to show how many equal groups add up to a specific number, e.g., 15 ÷ 5 = 3)
- Equal groups (with reference to multiplication and division; one factor is the number of objects in a group and the other is a multiplier that indicates the number of groups)
- Factors (numbers that are multiplied to obtain a product)