The focus of this week’s instruction is to strengthen writing skills by:
- Writing a thank you note to the servant from Brian to express thanks for his nice gesture.
- Explaining what events from the story caused a character to react a certain way.
- Writing a summary using the main events of the nonfiction text.
- Determining key details to include in a summary of the text.
- Writing a memoir using the narrative by Dr. Seddon as a model.
- Identifying how a character’s actions contribute to the sequence of events.
- Students will use “The Rocket Girl” to gain knowledge about the Civil Rights Movement while exploring an author’s word choice through idioms.
- Students will make connections and analyze the relationship between main events, people, and actions of people in a text.
- Students will gain an understanding of the life of Dr. Rhea Seddon through her memoir and be able to select key details to summarize the text.
- Students will understand what makes this text a narrative, non-fiction memoir and be able to create their own.
Student Print Materials
Student activities and print materials (if applicable) are included in the daily lesson plans.